Public Sector Jobs
The public sector is a major employer in Australia with over 2 million people employed in the sector in June 2019.
Figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics in June 2019 showed that the public sector employed 2,046,700 people: 242,100 by the Commonwealth Government, 1,610,600 by State Governments, and 194,000 by Local Governments.
Further details are available from Employment and Earnings, Public Sector, Australia, 2018–19 (cat. no. 6248.0.55.002).
A Public Sector Job
Each government in Australia advertises its new job opportunities online:
- The Australian Government advertises employment opportunities on APS Jobs
- The New South Wales Government advertises on I Work For NSW
- The Victorian Government advertises on Careers.Vic
- The Queensland Government advertises on its Employment and Jobs webpage
- The ACT Government advertises on its Careers and Employment website
- The South Australian Government advertises on I Work for SA
- The Government of Western Australia advertises on Jobs WA
- The Northern Territory Government advertises on its Work for Government webpage
- The Tasmanian Government advertises on Jobs Tas.
At a national level, Mandarin Careers also provides a centralised career development platform with Australia-wide senior leadership opportunities.
Each Council advertises its Local Government jobs on its respective website. A broader cross section of local government jobs are advertised by various employment websites.